Monday 7 May 2012

Ulfhednar process

This morning to warm up I did some gesture studies from http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php
Then I tried to ground the skill and did several designs of vikings.
 Afterwards I started working on the Ulfhednar image, I worked on the waves, which almost right away livened the composition. The colour scheme seemed to be slightly too unbalanced so I overlaid the whole image with a subtle layer of blue. This trick makes the image more life like.
 I didn't like the idea of a slightly dorky and cartoony dragonhead at the front, so I immediately started doing quick designs for a new one. Firstly I wanted only a different type, so I did a bit of a google search on drakkars. However quickly I came up with an idea of attaching a real skull. The backstory could be that the carved head was broken off, so the crew replaced it with a horned skull.
When I established the idea, I went off to look for different skulls, sheeps skull looked quite promising, but it's been done to death. Same thing with very dixie bulls skull. In the end I decided for the reindeer skull, which would make sense since they live in parts of Scandinavia.

No comments:

Post a Comment