Monday 30 April 2012

Point of Agression

I'll deem this image to be done until I'll sort out all the others. The atmosphere was influenced by the images from covers of Skyrim and Call of Duty: Black Ops. There probably is plenty more similar images, it seems that this type of lighting works well. It certainly gives this ominous and mysterious vibe. 

While painting it I started thinking about the story behind the image. Who is the viking? Why is he holding the helmet. Why is the helmet rusty. Is it an angry father that's about to punish his son for neglecting his chores and not cleaning it. Maybe, it's a darker story and the helmet belonged to someone who has been slain and was a kinman of the hero. Maybe he's a scavenger raiding a tomb. 
All these variables were passing through my head while contemplating the image. It seems the image is eerie enough to keep a viewer fixed to it for a while.
On the technical side of things I have been noted by Garret Arney-Johnson that beards usually are not pure blond, and tend to have this caramel colour with the brightest parts around mouth and chin and at the surface. In the end I pushed the colour of his beard. 
I would like to thank Garret Arney-Johnson for help with that. I got this crit because I posted my work on the Awesome Horse Studio facebook group called Team Awesome. 

Also, recently I have been reminding myself the basic rules of colour theory from this website: http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory





1 comment: